LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Tales from the Dressing Room

I consider myself lucky to be able to wear blue jeans to work.  I work in an office, but at night the dress code is much more relaxed than during the day. Since I wear jeans on my days off, too, I only need to maintain one wardrobe, rather than the separate "professional", "business casual", and "casual" wardrobes that I had during my years at the bank.  When I decided the time had come to get serious about losing weight, I decided no more clothes shopping until I had dropped at least one size.  It didn't matter that I only had two pair of jeans in my closet, since everybody knows ten pounds is a size and I could do that in a month.

Except I didn't.  I lost eight pounds the first month, and four the second.  My clothes are loose, but I haven't dropped a size.  I thought, okay, maybe fifteen pounds.  Well, I'm down thirteen and not even close to a smaller size.  So on Wednesday, when I tore one of my two pair of jeans, I knew I had to bite the bullet and go shopping.

I decided to go to Kohl's, because they carry the jeans I like (Lee Comfort Waist) and they have pretty good prices.  Kohl's is close to my office, so I went during my dinner break on Friday.  I tried on all kinds of jeans, not just the ones I usually get, and some of the brands were too big in my size.  But when I tried the same ones in a smaller size, I could not get them zipped up.  I don't mean they were uncomfortable, I mean I literally could not get them zipped up.  They were that much too small.  Heaven help me when these pants get looser, as it will be a long time until I can fit into anything smaller.  In the end, I got one pair of jeans that were identical to the ones I tore.  I also got a pair of Capri pants that are a perfect fit and a couple of $6 tee shirts for our trip to Florida.  Originally I was planning to just wear what I have, but honestly?  I got the clothes out and the tops have seen better days.  I realized that I bought them when I had the ginormous fibroid tumor, and that was a couple years ago.  I don't feel bad about picking up some new tops, especially at that price. 

On the subject of Kohl's, I just want to mention, I have been in many, many dressing rooms over the years but the mess I saw at Kohl's on Friday was easily the worst I have ever seen.  The dressing rooms were dirty.  Not just cluttered, but dirty.  Dirty mirrors, dust bunnies that were more like dust kangaroos all over the floor.  I was trying on pants, but I hated to take my shoes off on that filthy floor.  My socks got grimy in the fifteen minutes I was hopping around in there.   And dust wads weren't the only problem.  There were hangers and pins on the floor.  The first dressing room I went in had a pile of clothes on the floor that could double as a crash pad.  The second room wasn't so bad, only maybe a dozen pieces on the hooks and the floor.  I cleaned it out before I tried my stuff on.  The "back on the rack" rack, where you're supposed to put the things you don't want to purchase, was crammed full.  I had to put my rejects into a wire basket on the floor. I feel bad about that.  I'm sure they got dirty.  But I was on my lunch break and couldn't go around the store trying to figure out where I found all those pants.

After work I stopped at Walmart, and a really cute top that I've had my eye on was marked down to $3.  Score!  I was so happy to find my size that I picked up a much smaller one for Diva.  She was thrilled beyond words to be "shirt twins". 

4 comments:

  1. Awww you shirt twins sure look cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SIZES are all over the place. They vary so much, it's hard to know what's what. I'm so glad you bought yourself some NEW things for your trip. You deserve it. I must admit the pair of SHIRT TWINS were AWESOME. LUCKY LADIES. ENJOY! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diva and you look gorgeous as shirt twins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is you both look great in that picture. The funny part of it is you look so much like I pictured you. Young and energetic. You look good!!!

    ReplyDelete