LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, January 8, 2012

She's Gone

TaryTerre was right on the money about Ernie's limp.  She was doing pretty well when I got up on Saturday, but by early afternoon her back legs gave out and she could no longer stand.  I called Walker home from his mom's, and we contacted the vet.  The clinic was closed but one of the doctors agreed to meet us there later that afternoon.  I wasn't sure Ernie would last that long.  All afternoon I held her.  Finally, I handed her over to Diva so I could get ready to go.  Diva was amazing - she laid down next to Ernie, petting her to keep her calm.  When she could sense Ernie's distress, Diva picked her up and just held her until it was time for us to leave.

I didn't want to crate her, just wrapped her in her blankie and carried her to the car.  Her breathing got ragged and she started struggling in my arms.  Walker drove like a bat out of hell.  We let ourselves into the clinic, Ernie barely hanging on.  True to form, though, when the vet leaned in to pet her Ernie lifted her head, looked the vet right in the eye, and growled at her.  Then she peed all over me.  That's my girl!  Feisty to the end.

I keep looking over at her spot on the sofa to check on her.   I probably will for a while.  I'm glad my little girl isn't hurting any more, but I miss her so much.

12 comments:

  1. It's not easy to get over the loss or to fill the empty void. Remembering all the good times helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear but she isn't in any more pain. Do a search on the rainbow bridge, it's a lively poem that will help at this time. Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear that Ernie is gone. I prayed and hoped I was wrong about the limp. I have lost 5 cats in my lifetime, so I've seen the signs. BUT never did I hear of a kitty that had lived as long as your Ernie did. She was a fighter until the end. A real sweetheart. Beating the odds at every turn. You did everything you could. But it was her time. I'm glad she was surrounded by her family when she passed. I can only imagine the sense of loss you must feel. It must be devastating to you. It is a sad, sad day, indeed. You, Walker and Diva have my heartfelt sympathy. Just know that Ernie is meowing, running and playing, free of pain with the Angels, now. Let the GOOD memories of her, sustain you through this difficult time. Take care. You are in my prayers and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our pets are family members. It's really hard to lose them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, I am so sorry. I know you will miss her. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for your loss of your four legged child! I have been there way too many times so sure know what you are going through. Hopefully knowing she is out of pain is a comfort to you. You must have many happy memories so keep them close to your heart. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry about your dear pet but love the visual of her growling at the vet in her last moments. She was a feisty one, for sure. We lost two cats in a few months time, both to kidney issues - they weren't my pets, they were my kids' that we had taken because they couldn't have them where they were living. I never bonded with them, but my husband still misses them to this day - one would sit on his back while he kneeled and prayed, and they would meet him at the door, which is more a dog thing. Ernie fought the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am so sorry, I know how you feel and I am feeling again for you, remembering. My Yoda passed in my lap and she also peed, I think it is the muscles relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss. I have been following your updates on Ernie. As much as it hurts you, know you did the right thing and she is now at peace.

    (my word verification is peepot)

    ReplyDelete
  10. bye bye Ernie xo
    I've had your photo
    on my computer backround
    for awhile now
    I prayed for you every day
    if you see our
    Lil Miss White Cat
    tell her we said hello
    p.s.
    I did feel
    our Lil Miss White Cat
    jump up on our bed
    after she left this world

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry. My heart is hurting for you. I know how much you miss your sweet Ernie. She is among many well-loved furkids who have already gone over the rainbow bridge. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete