LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Spark People Update

Today marks the end of week two on my Spark People journey.  I am down two more pounds, for a total of 5.8 since I started on January 2.  I've learned a couple things, and I have more learning to go.  What I found out so far?  Well for one thing, my job is very sedentary.  I wore a pedometer every day but I deliberately didn't try to work in more walking. I wanted to see where I've been so I would know what a reasonable goal is.  Spark People recommends I walk 10,000 steps a day, which is a bit over four miles for me.  In my last job, I had 10,000 steps in before I went to lunch every day. My goal at that time was 25,000 steps.  Now, on the days that I work, I get about 5,000, consistently.  So I guess right now 10,000 is a good goal. 

I also learned that I don't eat enough protein.  Spark People gives me a graph that shows not only calories but also the basic nutrition info for my meals and snacks.   I only hit the mark for protein twice this week.  Last week I didn't hit any goals for protein.  I'm not worried about the two days I went over on calories and fat; the first day I made an egg dish (trying to bump up that protein!) and learned the hard way that I need to adjust the recipe for lower fat ingredients.  The 14th was Squeak's birthday party.  And yes, I ate the cake and ice cream.  I will always eat cake and ice cream with the kids on their birthdays.  I came in low today so that  should balance out.  

The last thing I learned is, I need to make exercise a higher priority. I only did my workout once this week.  On the one hand, I still lost weight.  But I want to tone up, too, and build my endurance, and strengthen my heart. I'm giving myself a break because, one, I was in a blue mood which seems to be lifting a bit now and two, we were exceptionally busy.  I'm not going to beat myself up.   

Weekly Progress

NUTRIENTS: GOAL                1/9          1/10        1/11        1/12         1/13        1/14        TODAY
Calories: 1,200 - 1,550 1,180 1,189 1,256 1,823 1,328 1,561 923
Fat: 27 - 60 44 41 46 112 52 85 40
Carbohydrates: 135 - 252 114 158 136 123 139 137 93
Protein: 60 - 136 43 57 86 33 79 51 51

2 comments:

  1. I'm feeling a little better, thought I'd check in to see what's up with you. Hello. Sounds like you're doing GREAT with Spark People. Congrats on your 5.8lbs. You had the right idea about the pedometer. Checking to see where you've been to make reasonable goals. Most people fail because they get UNREALISTIC in their expectations about what can actually be accomplished. You sound like you have a good plan developing. Hang in there and the rsults will come. Take care. PS) Thanks for the encouraging words about my bout with flu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! It seems you're doing well. I see you are reading or have read "The Help". I am almost through with it.

    ReplyDelete