LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Good News, Bad News

The good news is, all is well with my mammogram.  Wahoo!  The doctor was running late, very late actually.  There were four of us in the waiting room.  The waiting room is very nice, with a snack basket, a beverage fridge, and a private bathroom.  They have TV and magazines, too.  We were a bit of a rowdy bunch, the four of us in our matching tie front smocks.  One of the older ladies was waiting for an ultrasound.  She didn't seem to understand the magnitude of that appointment.  You get the ultrasound when there is a high suspicion of cancer.  She had her mammo, waited quite a while to see the doctor, and was waiting for her ultrasound when I got called back to the treatment room.  When I was all done, had all my good news, I got dressed and went out to the appointment desk to schedule my next follow up.  A few minutes later the nurse came and got the older woman's husband, telling him, "The doctor is talking to your wife and she wants you to come back."   The husband was complaining that he's been waiting for three hours and really didn't want to get up out of his chair.  I wanted to yell at him:  "Dude, think about where you are.  Think about what your wife is having done.  She is about to hear that she has cancer and she needs your support.  Get out of that chair and get your butt back there and hold your wife's hand!"  I felt so bad for this woman.  I hope her husband steps up or at the very least, that she has better support somewhere.  I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have asked him to go back if everything was fine.  They'd have told her to get dressed and sent her on her way.

I had over forty appointments from the day I was diagnosed until the day I was declared cancer free.  Walker missed only two of them.  I am a very lucky girl.

5 comments:

  1. You are definitely a lucky girl! You maybe should have told that guy off or at least told to to quit his whining... How dreadful for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's so scary. Congratulations on your good report. I am several months behind on getting mine - I hate it so much because I am fibrocystic and it hurts so much. But I MUST get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we get lucky. You are blessed to be cancer free and have such a strong support system in place. I can't help thinking about that poor woman in the hospital getting the news. Her husband sounds like a real jerk. I hope he got off his rear and came to her side, but I'm not holding out any hope. Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you got good news! I have been putting off my mammogram because I am scared. I am not sure why, but I am more worried since my aunt's death and having a very hard time going in. Need to though, I was on an every 6 months regimen for awhile. You are a strong woman and have a very good man at your side from the sounds of it!

    ReplyDelete