LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, March 31, 2011

First Quarter Check In

You may remember that at the beginning of the year I decided to focus my energies on three things:  getting healthier, fixing my finances, and spending more quality time with my family.  It's been a wild ride so far this year, but I realized today is the last day of the first quarter, so I thought I'd post an update.

The family time has definitely increased since Bro moved in. I see a lot more of my nephews, too.  Walker, Bro, and I sit down to dinner together several times a week, which isn't easy considering we all have very different schedules.  Walker and I had a week together in February, on vacation.  I think we needed that.  We've also managed to sneak in a few late lunch dates before I go to work.  It's progress.

The finances are actually ahead of schedule.  In the interest of full disclosure, I need to state that one factor in getting there is the contribution Bro makes to the household budget.  I followed  Gail Vaz-Oxlade's plan to set the budget up, but I based it just on income from Walker and me.  When Bro moved in, I didn't adjust the numbers.  So his contribution is "extra".  I decided not to account for it since I know he'll be moving on soon.  The biggest "Wahoo!" happened in February, when I paid a credit card balance, in full, after our vacation.  I have one more to go, but that one is going away quickly since it's the only consumer debt I have.  I've been working overtime, clipping coupons, and watching sales.  Finances are doing well.

Then there's the "health" category.  Can I get back to you on that one?  Actually, while I don't have a regular exercise program, I've cut way back on my caffeine intake, I'm sleeping better, and we're eating a lot healthier since Bro moved in.  He's a great cook, and he's committed to his wellness plan.  He makes low fat, low carb meals that are awesome.  We also have healthy snacks now.  It's a start, but I do need to get going on the exercise.  Now that spring is (almost) here, I think that'll get easier.  I love to walk outside, bike ride, garden.  In a couple months Diva and I will be swimming every day.  I'll get there. 

Over all, I guess I'd give myself about a B.  Maybe a B-.  Nah, a B.  Can't get everything done at once.  Considering the challenges I've had, I think a B will do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment