LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day Tripping Through the Blogosphere

I started reading blogs several years ago when I was planning a trip to Alaska with Walker. The plan was to spend a few days each in several towns around the state, and I wanted to see what the locals did, where they ate, how they spent their free time, etc. So I Googled around looking for blogs written by Alaskan authors. I found some good ones, and still keep up with a couple even now, six years after our trip. I thank one of those authors, Susan Stevenson of North Pole for one of the best meals Walker and I have ever enjoyed together at Gambardella's in downtown Fairbanks. We still talk about that meal, LOL.

At any rate, I have continued to use blogs for "real" information when I've faced challenges, including losing weight and planning other trips. This weekend, I Googled "breast cancer blogs" and have spent hours reading about strong, beautiful, pink ribbon warriors that I would never have had the opportunity to meet in my daily life. Their courage is incredible. Their questions are daunting. Their challenges are frightening. Their strength is inspiring.

I choose to define myself as a future breast cancer survivor, rather than as a breast cancer patient. I'm not looking forward to the fight, but I feel very privileged to be in the company of so many (too many)women who have walked this road before me and have so generously and honestly shared their experiences. If I can get through this with half as much humor and grace as these women, I will come out ten times stronger in the end.

1 comment: